[TriLUG] DNS question

Scott Morris scmorris at ifndef.com
Tue Jan 15 17:25:53 EST 2002

> Mark, you have a single IP address from your ISP.  Your ISP *probably*
> controls the DNS for you.  You should be able to contact them and ask them
> to modify the A record for your IP address.  If they don't allow that, they
> should add a CNAME for you.  You will be using one of your ISP's domain
> names.
>
> Note, you can always buy a domain name (well "rent" is probably a more
> accurate term) from any of the resellers of Domains.  Then as a service,
> they will point your Domain to whatever address you tell them to.
>
> Once that is done, folks can reach your firewall by typing in your Domain.
> You will have to open up port 80 on your firewall and run a webserver there
> or run a redirect to a webserver somewhere else (a machine inside your
> firewall or at another location all-together).
>

> > I have a DNS question - I want to add a web site accessible to the
> > world, right now I have a static IP (given to my firewall), where do I
> > add the dns record that would allow resolution so that the site is
> > accesible? or should I put my DNS environment on the firewall?

fyi,
i can register a domain and run DNS for you if you're interested.
or you can register yourself through opensrs and run DNS on your
(presumably) linux firewal box. easy stuff, just ask if you need a hand
setting it up. apache virtualhosts are cake too...

--
Scott Morris
scmorris at ifndef.com
Any similarities to reality are purely coincidental.
Get my PGP public key: http://ifndef.com/~scmorris/scottmorris_pubkey.asc