[TriLUG] PortSentry...

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Jan 15 23:30:22 EST 2002

Daniel Jerome [dan at inphoworx.com] wrote:
> Does anyone have anything to say about PortSentry?

Nope.  Nothing good to say.  I've got nothing against the code
itself, or anything, but I don't like the approach.  For it to
work, you have to let the ports through your firewall.  I prefer
to read firewall logs or use a network IDS.

http://www.psionic.com/abacus/portsentry

> Is there something better out there?

For what?  PortSentry has a few different uses.  What are you trying
to do?

> If this is the sort of thing that floats your boat, do you have any good
> kiddy scripts that can be used for network analysis?

Um.  Kiddy scripts?  You're on your own.

Portscanner: nmap (http://www.insecure.org/nmap)
Vulnerability Analysis: nessus (http://www.nessus.org)

Mike
--
"Yeah it is! Cause he's bakin' in the...kitchen of darkness!  A pie of
lost souls...until it's golden brown!" -- Moltar on Space Ghost