[TriLUG] Outline for proposed Linux for Business presentation.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 11:10:15 EST 2002

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 09:33, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> In the past, in my experience, I've gotten a bit of "thats all good and
> well but what of our ASP pages."

Alright so you are running ASP pages, then you'll definately want firewall
that IIS server your running, and you may even want to load balance it - if
for no other reason than to add redundancy to your web-cluster.  Linux
makes a great firewall/loadbalancer.

It's trivial to setup and adds tremendous security to your network.  The
firewall/loadbalancer can even examine the packets and filter out packets
based on origin or content *before* you pass them into your DMZ and on
towards your IIS servers.

Once that's in place, you might want to bring up an Apache server with
Tomcat on it and replace those old proprietary ASP pages with some
opensource Java packages

Instead of asking how much that functionality costs, you'll be saying "sure
add that to our cluster and test it out immediately!"

> With the new and more costly Office licensing and press that
> Star/OpenOffice(.org) have been getting, I would suggest we do cover it
> along with the cost savings.  This might even make a good tie in with
> say Flowe Desktop for instance.

I think the Desktop is not a good push for Corporate users right now.  It
*is* a good push for non-profits and educational groups.  The key to the
desktop is comfort, and Corp folks arn't going to thrust Linux on to their
end-users untill it has better buy-in from other groups.

IMO, its a good point to mention but not to go into or demo unless they ask
specifically about it.

===

Now we need some colloborative tools for editing documents across the net -
so folks can edit your original outline.  Sounds like TriLUG needs CVS up
and running.

I'll be happy to add my changes (from the emails) when the fires die down
around work but that may be a while!

Thanks for your efforts Andrew!

Jon