[TriLUG] RH 7.1 to 7.2 results in messed up system :-(

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:31:39 EST 2002

>From: Michael S Czeiszperger <-czei at webperformanceinc.com>

>I recently upgraded from RH 7.1 to 7.2, and its messed up a bunch of stuff
>like:

>*Apps such as Netscape and VMware have "blocks" where the menus and icons
>used to be.

This looks like a fonts thing. Did you restart our font server?
Is the proper charset selected (iso-8859-1 )
Are the fonts installed propely?

>*Konquer hangs every five minutes.

Problems with QT libs?

Did you have Ximian installed on 7.1? I know that this causes 7.1 -> 7.2
upgrade to go awfully wrong.

What is the content of your /tmp/upgrade.log file?

>I've tried reinstalling applications to no avail. RH support says I should
>try installing 7.2 from scratch, i.e. don't use upgrade, but it would take
>days to rebuild this machine with all of the software installations. Has
>anyone else encountered problems with upgrading v.s. installing with RH
>7.2?

Not those problems on upgrades, at least in 7.2 release (non beta)
Have you tried to "upgrading" your existing 7.2 to "7.2" ?

>This particular machine has had every RH OS since 5.2 upgraded on it.

Mmmmm. It should work. I have made dozens of upgrades...

Salut,
Sinner

http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.1 - Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Linux Machine # 38068