[TriLUG] TIF viewer recommendation

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 20:54:47 EST 2002

Hmm.  That was interesting.  In my Mandrake 8.1 KDE installation, in the menu
under Multimedia-Graphics I did find ImageMagick display.  It did nothing but
try to start and then quit.  When I tried your suggestion on starting display
from a shell prompt (see below), it worked (the Aha! moment that I am
addicted to).  Thank you for the introduction to "display".  I followed up
with a quick read of man display and I found the -flip and -flop options.  I
still need to figure out how to scale down the image to fit the whole page on
my screen.  I need to figure out the .tif to .pdf thing you mentioned too.

This program is not for idiots, however.  And I choose to be an idiot
sometimes because I can learn things only so fast.  Although, reading TriLUG
has drastically advanced me on the Linux learning curve and reduced the
number of times I play the idiot card.  And it's cheaper than paying Mr.
O'Reilly everytime you need some advice.

So far, the score (as I see it) is as follows:
- KView: displays first page only
- KFax: display all pages, has menu for usual fax handling operations (the
idiot's choice)
- display command: does everything, but you have to have brain engaged (there
are 2 requirements here)
- The GIMP: It reportedly works, but I've not been able to figure it out.
I've played with GIMP using the tutorials and I know how powerful it is.  My
experience suggests that using The GIMP to view faxes is like using AutoCAD
to draw stickmen.  The GIMP is just too cool to not figure out though, so I
have another item on my todo list (...sigh).

This exercise demonstrates the power of Linux and its rich set of choices.

Thanks for the help and motivation to learn,
Mike