[TriLUG] New Mandrake 8.1 install. but no X. HUH?

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Thu Jan 17 15:03:39 EST 2002

Ok this may be premature, but what the heck.

I was at CompUSA yesterday and Mandrake 8.1 Power Pack started talking to
me, so I took it
home and gave it a place to live on a Dell Cpi D300 XT laptop. It was quite
happy. But then I noticed something.
I boot up, and there is no X. I think.  I'm new to all this 'linux stuff',
but I have several Red Hat installs under my belt,
so I thought I'd take a look at another distro. I don't like GUI logins, so
I selected console login during X config part of
install. but when I log in and then type startx, I get (not verbatim)
'command not found'.

Any ideas? Did I hose something. It was LATE when I started the install, and
even LATER when it finished (mandrake install seems slooow),
so I don't know if I just missed something or what. System is at home, and I
have to wait till my 2 year old goes to sleep at 9:00 to be able to touch
the system or he goes ballistic and tears the keys off the keyboard. Future
kernel developer? :-)

Last thing I checked / noticed. In /<can't remember>/X11R6/bin directory
there is no startx file. I looked here because some .conf file in /etc
was referencing that file at that location. Does this indicate anything?

Thanks,
JJ