[TriLUG] iptables/ipchains (WAS: Security woes)

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Fri Jan 18 09:53:41 EST 2002

> telnet server, wu-ftp server, and openssh server were not installed!  DOH!.
> I've installed the stock ones from RHL 7.2. I am a newbie in the server
> arena (setup wise), and I've learned the "stock" box isn't best. But I'm not
> sure how to start these, since I am used to inetd and 7.2 uses xinetd.
>
> So the server packages are now installed. Now what?

openssh shouldn't require xinetd - it has its own control script.  i don't
think that the installation starts the daemon by default, but i could be
mistaken.  do a ps -ef | grep sshd to check and see if it's running - if
not, run the command

/etc/init.d/sshd start

to start up the ssh server.  if you don't get any errors off that, and you
can see sshd running in the process, then crank up an ssh client and see
if you can connect to it.  (if you're running a windows ssh client like
securecrt, you may need to specify a standard ssh server rather than a
data fellows ssh server in the properties for the connection, or it will
give you errors when trying to connect).

							lisa

--
lisa lorenzin   |   lorenzin at 1000plus.com   |   http://www.1000plus.com/lisa/
# find / -user your -name base -print0 | xargs -0 chown us