[TriLUG] DVD Drives for Linux

Joe Meador joe at alien.biochem.wfubmc.edu
Fri Jan 18 14:45:27 EST 2002

Hi,

In my department we have an SGI box that runs a large database that is
updated every couple of months via 9 CDs.  The database is getting so large
that upgrades will soon be on DVD media rather than CDs.  Since it appears
SGI doesn't have DVD Drives, we are thinking of putting a DVD drive in a
linux computer and mounting it via NFS.  The software requires the user to
copy the data on a local directory rather than copying directly from the DVD
ROM drive, so the extra time to copy several gigs of data via NFS shouldn't
matter too much.  What makes / models would you all suggest, and is there
anything in particular I'll need to do on the software side (kernel upgrade,
etc) to make sure Linux can read the DVD?   It's currently running RH 7.0 /
2.2.17.  We don't care to watch DVD movies or anything, just need the extra
capacity of the DVDs. :-)

Thanks for your input,

Joe Meador
joe at alien.biochem.wfubmc.edu