[TriLUG] AOL Redhat Linux?!?

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Sat Jan 19 11:03:34 EST 2002

Brent Verner wrote:

> [2002-01-19 02:24] Greg Brown said:
>
> | Red Hat, if you are listening, DON'T SELL!!!  At least not to these people.
>
> have you lost your mind?  :-) I can't imagine a more positive scenario
> than having *nix users (even if the users don't know dick about *nix)
> on 30 million machines.  What could be negative about this?

I have to disagree with you.  When a mass consumer firm buys an
engineering firm, I think, the result hasn't been good.  Think Compaq
buying Digital -- a perfectly good engineering firm got wasted
in the process.  No more Alpha processor -- I know at least one
theoretical/computational chemist who is none too pleased with that.

Personally, I am moving toward using SuSE more, so while I would hate
to see RH go down the tubes (especially being a local company), it would
affect me less than hardcore RH fans.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html