[TriLUG] Signal 11 with AMD K6

Al Koscielny alko at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 20 17:02:35 EST 2002

The signal 11's came back and became more frequent. At times, even xdm
wouldn't run at times and the machine would occasionally lock up after a
kernel Oops. I hadn't added any new hardware or software in the week or so
before the signal 11's.  I tried removing the 3 DIMMS and putting only one at
a time back in.  I verified all the jumper settings.  The CPU fan was a bit
dusty so I cleaned it out.  I set up lm_sensors and monitored temperatures
and voltages with gkrellm.  CPU temperature was usually about 35 C,
increasing to about 41 C with a fully occupied CPU.

After replacing the CPU chip with a new K6-2/450, the signal 11's stopped and
it been up for two days so far without any applications crashing.

Thanks to all who responded for the helpful suggestions.
--
Al Koscielny
alko at nc.rr.com