[TriLUG] Questions about webservers

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Jan 23 22:39:32 EST 2002

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 03:32 am, Matthew Hoover wrote:

> find a version of iPlanet that would run on Red Hat 7.x, but it appears
> that the last Red Hat release that iPlanet supports is 6.2.  Anyone have a
> favorite web server to recommend? Thanks for the help,

Note that Red Hat inludes "compatability" RPMs that have the libraries used
in (some) previous versions of Red Hat Linux so that you can develop for Red
Hat 6.2 on Red Hat 7.1 and run binary apps released for Red Hat 6.2 on Red
Hat 7.1.  I know because I did it with Oracle.  :)

For example,

$ rpm -qi compat-glibc
Name        : compat-glibc                 Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 6.2                               Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 2.1.3.2                       Build Date: Wed 26 Jul 2000
03:14:36 AM GMT-5
Install date: Tue 01 Jan 2002 01:16:30 PM GMT-5      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Libraries         Source RPM:
compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.src.rpm
Size        : 6909510                          License: LGPL
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : GNU libc for Red Hat Linux 6.2 backwards compatibility.
Description :
This package contains version 2.1.3 of the GNU C library and the
runtime libraries for compiling binaries that will run on Red Hat
Linux 6.2 and other glibc 2.1.x Linux based systems.

Of course, the vendor probably won't provide support for this configuration,
and there may be multiple dependencies.  I just thought that I should point
out this option.

---Tom