[TriLUG] Toshiba 110CS and XFree86

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 24 16:05:20 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:58:44PM -0500, John Matthews wrote:
> It is quite possible that this statement (about DRI) is incorrect. Any
> card that doesn't have 3D capabilities should still work with XFree86
> 4.x. In general, you can just remove DRI from the list of modules you
> load and take the DRI section out of your XF86Config-4 file. *poof* No
> problems with DRI. In fact, even without hardware supported by the DRI,
> it should still default to software Mesa for OpenGL and still no issues
> with DRI.

Yep, 3D things will just run a _lot_ slower, but they should still work.

> That being said, the Chips & Technologies video adaptors do have
> problems with XFree86 4.x. I know because my laptop was using XFree86
> 3.3.6 after I installed Red Hat 7.2 on it. When I tried XFree86 4.1, the
> X server would crash with some error message that I was able to use to
> search on Google. From there I found a patch on a Debian mailing list
> that I applied by hand to a copy of the XFree86 4.1 source found in the
> Red Hat SRPM. With the patch, the Chips & Technologies video adaptor on
> my laptop now works.

Hrm, you may want to check with Mike Harris, the XFree86 maintainer for
RH. These problems should be fixed in 4.2.0 proper, but Mike said last
night that RH 4.2.0 RPMS won't be available for a good while yet.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc