[TriLUG] X Sessions

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Jan 25 12:00:36 EST 2002

[2002-01-25 11:05] Jeff Bollinger said:
| What do I need to change to allow myself to get an X window (xterm) from
| a remote Linux box to my local Linux box (already running X)?  I have
| X11 forwarding set on the remote box in the sshd_config file, but I get
| the following error after I run export DISPLAY="[local system]:0" and
| try to run an X app:

Use the '-X' switch.

client$ ssh -X $server
server$ echo $DISPLAY
server:10.0

You should not (have|be able) to 'export' a differend DISPLAY.
The server runs xauth to setup things for forwarding.

  server$ grep X11 /etc/ssh/sshd_config
  X11Forwarding yes
  X11DisplayOffset 10
  server$ which xauth
  /usr/bin/X11/xauth

cheers.
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman