[TriLUG] Re: No longer available (got employed). & HARDWARE SHOPPING TIME!

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Fri Jan 25 12:36:24 EST 2002

> From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver at apache.org>
> Hi All,
> Looks I've I've landed a gig out at Cisco.  Sign the paperwork
> tomorrow.  You know what that means....its hardware shopping time...
> Congrats Andrew!
> anyone know anything about this:
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html
> (sooooo nice!)
> Looks like one of those Maximum PC's "Kick A**" products. (mental >
note: get one thunder k7 when I grow up)
> with linux?
> No idea. But the stuff seems vanilla to me: no integrated (win) modem
> , no integrated (win)video card, no integrated (win)audio card. SCSI >
and network stuff is usualy safe to say that it works with Linux. Also,
> ATA-100 makes for a nice'n'cheap'fast software RAID controller.
> MSI doesn't have a comparable board yet
> You only need one, AFAIK
> -Andy
> BTW, I'm also in the process of getting some upgrade kit: Athlon+ MoBo
> + RAM + nice case + nice fans. Recomendations on HW and on-line/live >
shopping centers? I'm looking for "stability first".

I don't use IDE stuff.  I use SCSI.  They have a model of that MB that
has onboard scsi.

I *usually* like buying stuff local that has a *failure* possibility.
For that Intrex Computers in Chapel Hill.  The one in Durham usually has
a more "sales" oriented staff (this may have changed but this was my
impression)... The Chapel Hill store has more geeks, some of which run
linux so they can actually be useful.  They also are liberal on returns.

As for mail order I've had good luck on yahoo shopping.
Secondly...though they have poor choice in partners....www.ubid.com is a
great place for getting overstock.  I've had GREAT luck with them..
I've even bought clothes!  (at $10 for 3 *NICE* shirts one can take the
risk it might not fit perfectly).  They have both refurb and new.

I have currently a T-bird 933mhz, the MSI via motherboard with the
pretty spaceships on front (intrex), an IBM 18gb scsi drive (need more
diskspace!), tekram scsi card (intrex), Voodoo 3000.  Only complaint I
have really is my tape drive (HP Colorado 14gb), it works with every
other version of redhat and my very old HP CD burner

UG PLAN:

The above motherboard with
2x AMD XP (blech with the name) 1800+ (going on ubid lately for cheap)
another 2x 18 gig drives (might mirror one)  (also going on ubid for
cheap...but I won't tell you where...sorry...mine ;-) ).
NVidia card (must ask kevin which one again)
new taller case. (this one is falling apart and I lost the spare mounts)
new scsi cd burner.

can we say...nicceeee.  Won't necessarily be buying all of this at
once.. ;-)  I love my toys
--
www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!