[TriLUG] The great email server build: was status of email

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Jan 25 21:07:40 EST 2002

> Is that plug-compatible with a Pentium?  I'm currently
> running my RH7 firewall, personal webserver (Apache),
> Postfix and Mailman on a P120 (64M).  The mobo manual
> says it handles up to 166MHz.  Every extra Hz would
> help this tired, worn-out box.

Chris, that might be a lateral move for you (or worse).  Those Cyrix
processors can't be compared to real Pentiums clock for clock.  I've got a
pile of Pentium 100 and 133 machines here, and one Cyrix 233.  There is not
a noticeable difference between the Intel 133 and the Cyrix 233.

BTW - The Cyrix 233 is the machine I used to bring to installfests.  Your
choice of distro and efforts to tune it will make a big difference on the
relative performance of the box.  RH7 takes advantage of faster machines and
works well but I've been largely disappointed with how well it "scales down"
on older hardware.  This is fair, though, since I don't think RH is making
any $$$$ off of marketing towards people who hoard old obsolete hardware.
At the risk of going off topic, I've had much better luck running OpenBSD on
older machines like that.