[TriLUG] Can't get X configured on new install

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Fri Jan 25 23:55:14 EST 2002

Here I go again.

I bought a new hard rive and removable cages for my home machine, so I can
start running linux as my primary OS and really start getting
to know it. X isn't playing nice though. I installed Red Hat 7.2, and when I
get to X configuration, I can't get a video resolution that will work.
Not even 8 bit at 640X480. Xconfigurator detects my card correctly as a Riva
TNT, and it also properly detects my monitor. But when I try and startx
(test), I get a black screen and then an error something like "There is a
problem with your X configuration".

Any ideas? BTW, it's a AMD K6-2 450 with 768 MB RAM if that matters.

Thanks,

Justin