[TriLUG] RunLevels

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 28 14:54:50 EST 2002

Here is what I have regarding run levels:

0 - All processces terminated.
1,s,S - Single User Mode (no X, no network, no mounted file systems)
2 - multi-user mode.  All processes except for X, the at daemon, inetd daemon, and NIS/NFS are started.
3,4 - Multi-user mode with network services.
5 - multi-user mode with network and X services.
6 - All processes are terminated and system is gracefully rebooted.  (If selected for initdefault the system will enter into an endless cycle of reboots which can be quite fun to troubleshoot over the phone with a non-technical person)
7,8,9 - generally unused.
a,b,c,A,B,C - used in conjunction with the ondemand action

Hope that helps!

Greg

trilug at trilug.org wrote:
> Ok, here's a simple question about run-levels

0 -- Shutdown
1 -- Single User-Mode
3 -- Multi-User Mode
6 -- Reboot

What do levels 2, 4, and 5 control?  5 on my system is very similar to 3.

Thanks,
Jeff
--
Jeff Bollinger