[TriLUG] upgrade to 2.4.17!

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Mon Jan 28 19:37:42 EST 2002

> Actually, the way I heard it was that Linus was applying Rik's patches
> haphazardly, picking and choosing, and that was why the VM was so
> broken.  AA's VM may work okay, but I don't think there was anything
> fundamentally wrong with Rik's (except in how it was applied to
released
> kernels).  I also think Rik's new VM (the reverse mapping VM based on
> similar BSD work) holds a lot more promise than anything else out
> there...

Yeah thats nice, my comments were posted regarding the kernel basically
in truth VMs fall under my toaster category.  I don't really care why it
works or doesn't work so long as it does.  At present it looks like this
VM has reached a stable state in the kernel and this kernel has reached
a stable state.  Personally I could give a flip about kernel politics.

In the end run, you can have all the special VM pached kernels all you
like but this is what we're stuck with going forward for awhile.  As for
why, how, the path not taken dunno and dunno dun particularly care.
Thats just how I feel about that whole issue.

-Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!