[TriLUG] Mandrake Linux 8.2-beta1 is out!

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Wed Jan 30 15:19:39 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 15:04, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Is there anyone here that can explain what ports is?  From the
> above comment, I assume it's something similar to apt or urpmi,
> but I'd like to know more.

Short answer:  look at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html -
another good thing about FreeBSD, good docs..

Long answer:

On a *BSD system with the ports directory there is a /usr/ports
directory, for most things, you can just find the package, and do

# make
# make install

and the package gets downloaded, configured and installed.  There are
all sorts of tools for managing the ports collection, again see the fine
manual for more info..

Peace.

john (glad the office has two big windows that open today :)

--
John Beimler
john at radiomind.com
919-465-9707