[TriLUG] Simple Mail Server Quesiton

Rick Steeves ricks at duke.edu
Wed Jan 30 23:49:03 EST 2002

Hey al, I'm back! (after asking for advice on a mail server)

Given the advice that I got, I went ahead with Postfix as a mailserver, but
raelized I was in over my head, and decided to just go to sendmail.

Well, I have sendmail installed, and working, so I can both receive and
send mail,  incoming mail is scanned by amavis (using AntiVir for Linux =
free).

I've got IPtables set up for fairly restrictive (not that it matters at the
moment, as it's hiding behind my firewall port forwarded to port 25).

Still working on IMAP and POP (mostly working, except that I can telnet to
it and it works, but Eudora won't talk to it, and web mail very close), but
I have one quirky thing that's driving me nuts, and that is that when I
send mail
the From: field says user at hostname.domainname.com instead of
suer at domainname.com. I'm sure it's something simple somewhere, but I'm
missing it.

Other than that, I'm actually starting to get the hang of this linux thing.
Way cool

Rick