[TriLUG] "taxation without representation"

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Feb 1 13:39:41 EST 2002

El dia Friday 01 February 2002 11:15 am, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
> ...and they recognize Linux and xBSD as Operating Systems?

Yes, of course.

If you provide a proof of a valid license acompaining the OS, it's a valid
and legal OS.

> What constitutes a "full" computer?  That meaning will change faster than a
> politician's term in office.

IANAL, but a full computer would be a stand alone system that can function as
a computing system by itself.

So, computer parts are not a computer because they cannot function by
themselves.

A "clone" PC is a computer.

Butm then, again, Spain has this law that puts a tax on blank CDs that
effectively have raised thier price ~50% . This is a tax that goes to the
organization of authors and publishers, SGAE, also known as "the 40 thieves"
in the internet world.

They claim that this money goes to the authors because blank CDs are used
mostly for music piracy pourposes (they claim a figure of 70% of blank CDs
are used for this pourpose).

Now, a movement has started to challenge this law.

See those links here (in Spanish) on a "Slashdot(LANG=es)" kind-o-site and on
some newspapers:
http://barrapunto.com/article.pl?sid=02/01/30/1411219&mode=nested&threshold=
http://sincanon.hispalinux.es/
http://www.spain.cpsr.org/
http://www.elmundo.es/navegante/2002/02/01/esociedad/1012553405.html
http://www.larazon.es/noticias/noti_esp01.htm

And also, there's a "de facto" censorship law on Spain. This means, that if
the Government cannot get taxes about the contents on your website, they can
close down the site. The Government claims that a website is owned by
someone, and it is providing a service, so it is taxable. If it is free, it
can be taxable as well... or go down.

http://www.elmundo.es/navegante/2002/01/31/esociedad/1012493615.html

But, then, of course, the Spanish Government is a dear friend of a
successfull American businessman. This guy acts as aa "special counselor" to
the Government in technological matters. See Mr. Aznar with this guy:

http://www.elmundo.es/navegante/2001/12/03/empresas/1007381142.html

So, all in all, nothing comes as a surprise.

Salut,
Sinner
--
"I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father
smelt of elderberries!"