[TriLUG] trilug web hosting worked for me!

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Feb 1 21:11:18 EST 2002

Tanner & Oliver -

Hope y'all don't mind if I chime in with the overview. *grin*

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 19:27, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> I was just wondering, because when I first read that, I thought
> you had Cocoon installed alongside Apache on fatalpha and were
> having the page generated dynamically.

In a few days, that should be possible. I need t install a few add-ons
first.

> What can you tell us about Cocoon?  How do you generate your
> page with Cocoon and do I remember correctly that Cocoon runs
> with apache (or can it run separately)?

Cocoon is a Java Servlet, made to run in any servlet 2.x environment
(although Cocoon 2 requires Servlet 2.2 or higher). it generates XML
from XML and XSP - XML with embedded Java and/or PHP (or, if you use
AxKit instead of cocoon, Perl) - and SQL and a few other things. it can
then run it through a XSLT transformation stage, and output whatever you
want.

In other words, with the right style sheets, you can generate XML,
XHTML, WML, and PDF (with the right add-ons packages) from the same
source.

I like Cocoon a lot, and it's on my list of "things to add to fatalpha
now that Java is installed"

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9