[TriLUG] email server update

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sat Feb 2 23:21:12 EST 2002

Hi All,

I have a few folks I need to contact to let them know we're basically
done.

Brent brought over the case and power supply.  I put the thing mostly
together (I'll leave the *refinement* to those who enjoy this sort of
thing).

I booted it with my old burned out PIII that fried itself.  It booted
and I installed RH72 (because I knew how to install it over FTP..
install whatever OS you like less one in particular makes no matter to
me)..

Anyhow, as it turns out I'm going to be going out of town next weekend
and returning the during following weekend.

What I'd like to do if you all are game is drop this by either Inflow or
maybe Jon's place and let those who wanted to do the software and finish
screwing this sucker together arrange to meet up and do their deed.

I hear that some folks are wanting to up the hard drive capacity (BTW
the quantum fireball thats in it works great and its pretty fast.  I
remember now why I used to love them...fast, makes cool sounds and weird
;-)...5 1/4"!).  I'd like to kick in some money for the processor ($40
-- which should be enough for a PII at least -- definitely buy a big fan
I learned the hard way!) and let you all order it all at once (brent's
suggestion).

If you all would rather wait till I'm back then fine, but I have no need
to be there really, and I don't think I've got much to contribute from
this point on that those who feel more passionate about this stuff can't
do.  (I'm more interested in writing email servers then installing them
;-) http://jakarta.apache.org/james)

Hardware tasks that need to be done:

Cover gaping hole from non existent CDROM.  Properly mount floppy with
drive mount screws (Intrex said "take all you want", but I stupidly took
4)..  Install one of the other network cards in addition to the current
one (might want to replace current one...it's bent to fit a weird case I
used to have).  Screw motherboard in properly all around (I just did
enough to keep it in there).  New processor and a decent fan.

There are also other spare parts you should possibly sort.  I didn't
sort by "best piece", just the first thing that worked.

Don't forget to bring a keyboard when you go to install it.

Let me know if that's acceptable to you all.  Jon let me know how you'd
like to take possession (thought you were the most logical person as you
expressed an interest, have access to Inflo and are going to put on the
OS which puts you next in the chain).

Thanks to everyone who donated.  Spare parts will be returned if not
used.

Thanks,

And

--