[TriLUG] Moving a subdirectory tree

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Feb 3 00:21:16 EST 2002

I have lots of partitions (don't ask me why...it's too big of a pain to
change it now) on my home Linux machine.  With the growing size of an
"Everything" Red Hat install, my /usr partition has filled up.  I plan to
move /usr/share to another partition and remount it at /usr/share.  I've made
the new filesystem with some spare disk space that I had.  Now I have a
problem.  How to move the files.  Ideally, I'd keep the RPM database happy
(not complaining about file permissions and dates).  I mounted the new
filesystem to /mnt and ran

cd /mnt;  tar cf - -C /usr/share . | tar xpf - 2> tar.stderr

but that doesn't preserve timestamps.  Is there a better way to move files
from one partition to another?

Thanks,
---Tom