[TriLUG] trilug web hosting worked for me!

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Sun Feb 3 15:53:40 EST 2002

On 1 Feb 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Donald Ball is a Cocoon committer I think so he can probably tell you a
> bit more detail including about his ESQL, etc.  I'm about 25% developer
> for Cocoon and 75% very dumb user ;-).

getting off-topic for a linux list, but what the hey, it's sunday. just
thought i'd mention that there are plenty of ways besides cocoon to
transform xml files using xslt stylesheets into a variety of different
output formats in this day and age. xsltproc is a command line tool
written in c, part of the libxslt package from gnome, i think, that's nice
and quite fast. the java build tool, ant, has a style task which does xslt
transformations. both of these can be used to batch build a web site from
a source tree if you don't need or want to do the transformations at
request-time. the main advantages cocoon has to offer now are the ability
to dynamically create xml, say, from a database or whatever, and the
concept of a sitemap, which allows you to divorce your urlspace from your
filesystem, and to assign pluggable components to handle different tasks
in the construction of a resource for a url. and a plug for my friend sam,
he has a python project called maki which is similar to cocoon2 but uses
python components if you're into that sort of thing.

- donald