[TriLUG] Moving a subdirectory tree

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Feb 3 10:30:14 EST 2002

Actually, both commands below preserve timestamps for files and directories.
Neither one seems to preserve the timestamps for symlinks, and I can't get
touch to operate on the symlink.  When I touch the symlink with an explicit
time, it updates the target of the link.  For example,

$ ll
total 0
-rw-rw-r--    1 tbryan   tbryan          0 Feb  3 20:21 bg
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tbryan   tbryan          2 Feb  3 20:12 bg_BG -> bg
$ touch -r /usr/share/scrollkeeper/Templates/bg_BG bg_BG
$ ll
total 0
-rw-rw-r--    1 tbryan   tbryan          0 Jan  1 12:23 bg
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tbryan   tbryan          2 Feb  3 20:12 bg_BG -> bg

Is there a way to update a symlink's access and modification times?

---Tom