[TriLUG] Now why isn't this working (sendmail question)?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Feb 4 08:47:28 EST 2002

OK, I have a sendmail question, but before I begin :

DISCLAIMER: The first person to suggest that mail daemon
postfix/qmail/xmail/etc will fix all my woes will get thumped. I am not
interested in investing the time it will take to get "other-mail-server"
working in my environment right now. Sendmail works just fine, aside
from this little thing, and doesn't need replacing, OK?

The problem :

I have five virtual domains. Under Sendmail 8.9 managed by *shudder*
linuxconf, each domain had a "default user" that all mail that wasn't
explicitly aliased was delivered to.

Well, when I upgraded to Sendmail 8.11, this broke. And I'm not using
linuxconf any more (huzzah!) so I need to know how to set up a default
mail alias for *@domain.com.

I've read over the sendmail docs, made sure my sendmail.cf uses a
virtuser table:

Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable

generated /etc/mail/virtusertable that says:

@sonney.com: alchemist

and hashmapped it properly.

makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable

However, sendmail -bt still tells me :

# sendmail -bt
map_lookup: virtuser (bob at sonney.com) no match (0)
> /map virtuser @sonney.com
map_lookup: virtuser (@sonney.com) no match (0)

Any hints, oh gurus of the list?

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9