[TriLUG] Now why isn't this working (sendmail question)?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Feb 4 11:55:12 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 11:33, Robert Wagoner wrote:
> Are you using m4 now, or do you still use $EDITOR to hack your
> sendmail.cf?
> You'll need to use m4 to get all the features to work correctly.

Still using $editor, although with sendmail v. 8.11+ most, if not all,
features are documented both ways. It's my understanding (from what I've
been reading)that the sendmail folks are doing this on purpose - a less
obfuscated sendmail.cf is a good thing.

> There should be no punctuation between left and right columns,
> just a tab.

Found and fixed.

> If your virtuser works OK, you should get the following from sendmail
> -bt
> /map virtuser bob at sonney.com    ...    no match (0)
> /map virtuser @sonney.com    ...    alchemist
> 3,0 bob at sonney.com    ...    alchemist
> because there's not an explicit map entry for Bob,
> but the unmatched names will still come to you.

While the first bit works, the second doesn't :

map_lookup: virtuser (bob at sonney.com) no match (0)
map_lookup: virtuser (@sonney.com) returns alchemist (0)
> 3,0 bob at sonney.com
canonify           input: bob @ sonney . com
Canonify2          input: bob < @ sonney . com >
Canonify2        returns: bob < @ sonney . com . >
canonify         returns: bob < @ sonney . com . >
parse              input: bob < @ sonney . com . >
Parse0             input: bob < @ sonney . com . >
Parse0           returns: bob < @ sonney . com . >
ParseLocal         input: bob < @ sonney . com . >
ParseLocal       returns: bob < @ sonney . com . >
Parse1             input: bob < @ sonney . com . >
Parse1           returns: $# local $: bob
parse            returns: $# local $: bob

Hmm. I wonder if there's a ruleset that's been disturbed. That's where
I'll look next.

Any sendmail ruleset gurus out there?

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9