[TriLUG] Linux laptop battery

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 6 03:27:18 EST 2002

Unfortunately, I read another message about "your laptop battery" and posted
a response about totally discharging rechargeable batteries (don't do it!!).
To respond to your question "what killed the battery?", I can only respond
with two answers: 1. either you used your laptop so much and recharged the
battery so many times that you just used up it's useful life---As I noted
earlier, you must remember that NiMH batteries have a shorter lifespan than
NiCad batteries (it's the price you pay for their higher voltage and esp.
current). OR it could be defective, although I doubt that it was if it
worked well for 12 months.
    NiMH batteries should definitely be stored at room temp., as far as
being "drained", I suspect that means the battery should be discharged
(unless you're using a battery with liquid electrolyte, like a car battery
has!!) Remember, though, that this can kill good batteries. If you take a
wire and discharge just about any battery you will burn it up (and there
will be a lot of heat--even flashlight size batteries). Batteries should
always be discharged under a resistive load, but what the correct one is for
the battery in question is a difficult question without knowing several
figures. As I said earlier, the only place you should probably discharge
these batteries using them with your laptop! But if you discharge them too
long you can also damage them there!!
   Actually, discharging batteries intentionally (when they are not in use),
is not a good idea because you risk the danger of  "over-discharging" it and
reversing one of the cells (which would mean that that cell would actually
reverse its polarity!!). Now the battery manufacturers ship their batteries
totally discharged. Which is safe if you have the equipment (like they do)
to totally discharge it to the proper point. Batteries are still sort of
19th century devices and they should be treated as such. I would suggest
that you keep the battery out of the PC unless you are using it for power.
Second, you should keep it at room temp (or slightly cooler--cold slows down
chemical processes!). Finally, you should protect the connectors on the
outside of the battery by putting it in a plastic case or covering them with
masking or electrical tape (you can discharge a battery accidentally if the
smallest piece of metal makes a connection).
      Still if you used it heavily for 12 months, you may have gotten the
useful life out of that battery (I can't say because that depends on how
long you discharged the batteries and how many times you recharged it (there
is a limit to the number of times NiMH batteries can be recharged and the
number is much smaller than NiCad batteries) --since you are in this elite
group, I suspect that you used it a lot!!). There are many battery
manufacturers which probably make a replacement battery for you to use. Get
the name and number off of it and go shopping on the web for a new one. If
you can't find a reputable company, let me know and I'll give you some 800
numbers which the amateur radio community uses to buy their batteries from.

Batteries do not last long if they are abused. You must not discharge them
too long before recharging them but on the other hand, if you charge them
too many times you can also cause problems. I'm afraid you'll have to use
trial and error to figure out the most efficient way of using your
batteries. But the next time you buy batteries, buy TWO of them. That way
you can use one in your laptop while the other is recharging in the charger.
(I'm assuming that you have a charger separate from your laptop--which may
not be valid).
Still two batteries can give you a spare if one of them quits working. If
you don't have a separate charger, leave the second one in the discharged
state that you received it until you need it. Finally, remember that NiMH
batteries have a much shorter lifespan than NiCads. Hope this helps
you.---AL