[TriLUG] Linux laptop battery

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 7 02:46:30 EST 2002

The NASA engineer's article was published in QST magazine and discussed
whether or not the NiCad's used by ham radio operators ever suffered from
NiCad memory. He does a lot of mathematical calculations and basically
concluded that NiCad memory occurs in satellite batteries because they go
through very regular charging and discharging cycles (due to whether or not
there was sunlight on the "bird"). This never happens when people use
ni-cads because they are not that "mechanistic" in the way they use their
Ni-Cads. HE ALSO CONCLUDES THAT WHAT PEOPLE THINK IS NICAD "MEMORY" (which
is observed by the battery being unable to be charged to its normal voltage
and current)  IS ACTUALLY DUE TO POLARITY REVERSAL!!! The article is
available online at the ARRL website. Find a ham who's an ARRL member and
look it up, if you're really interested.