[TriLUG] insane(?) MS rantings..

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Thu Feb 7 16:37:40 EST 2002

[gregbrown at mindspring.com]
> I debated not sending this out simply because it makes me sound like
> I'm not operating off a full deck but I did NOT upgrade my home machines
> to Outlook 2002.  I'm just wondering if anyone else with home machines
> with high-speed connections have seen anything like this.

I haven't seen it, but MS has options for checking for updates and
dealing with them automatically for you.  There's existing code paths
where MS therefore checks in and can modify the installed software base.
The situation you described is more difficult for me to explain (unless
something got carried in, like a new outlook express that came with IE6
or something).

Might be worth it to turn on some key logging and see what goes on and
when - worst case you should be able to find an IP or range that you
could then block access to and selectively unblock when you choose to
do certain ops *shrug*
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4