[TriLUG] Its broke and I gotta fix it

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 11:02:35 EST 2002

It's too bad, but you'll have to get your hands dirty with some hardware.
You'll need some known good parts to start with.

Work on a concrete surface that is touching terra-firma in sock or bare feet
as you perform the following tasks.  Equalize your static potential by
touching a copper H2O pipe often.  Strap on to it as you work if you are
really careful. Don't walk around with parts in your hands when they are
outside of the static bags.  ESD nightmare: wearing man-made soled shoes on
wool carpet and dragging feet while carrying CPU by the pins.  I can just
hear the transistors being blown up.

I recently heard about the "cardboard" test.  This is where you have a
catasrophic failure and you need to test from the ground up.  You unplug
everything from your mainboard and remove the mainboard to a piece of card
board (an insulator).  You plug in the power cable, the monitor card, and
keyboard, and monitor.  Then you turn on the power.  You are looking for 1)
monitor function, 2) ability to get to the BIOS setup.

Then you try this same test with the mainboard installed in the box.

You are eliminating power and ground faults in this test and getting an
initial sense of how you mainboard, CPU, CPU fan, and RAM are functioning.

No you start adding peripherals one at a time.

1) floppy boot
2) CDROM boot
3) HDD

I won't fill in all the details here.  There are cable orientation issues
involved.  There are drive jumper issues. I worked for hours on an IDE cable
and drive jumper mismatch.  I had the HDD jumpered for Master and I had the
Secondary end of the cable plugged in to the drive.  Things kind-a didn't
work...the worst kind of failure.

You'll be glad if you keep a HDD, FDD, and CDROM spare on the shelf.  You can
buy them refurbished from www.driveguys.com or rip'em out of old machines.

If you choose to go this route, collect info and post questions as you go.  I
am build three more machines in thenext 1.5 weeks, so I'm wearing my hardware
hat again.

On the other hand, did the guy that built the machine for you give you a
warranty?  I assume not since you are asking for help.

I'll post how and where to build a Linux box for $287 if you are interested.

Mike M.