[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.2 beta... so far

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 03:56:07 EST 2002

Well, I just had to do it... I blew away my 8.1 install of Mandrake and
replaced it with the beta of 8.2.

The install is awesome - as usual.  The best improvement (IMO) was the
configuration of X.  The install is still a beta though, and it didn't
install my sound.  Not a big problem.  I'll tackle that tomorrow.

The desktop setup was really nice and included a default for KDE Redmond
which looked a lot like Windows.  This could really help bring over some
converts.

The new K tools have come a long way.  So far Kmail is superb.  The look and
feel have really been improved, and it seems to be non-blocking, very nice!

The kernel installed is 2.4.17 -10mdk and seems to be fairly solid.

If anyone else wants the ISO's I'll be happy to post them or bring them
copies on Monday (our meeting), but I recommend you wait till 8.2 is out of
beta.

Jon Carnes