[TriLUG] Email questions

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:34:00 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 14:19, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> Abiword and gnumeric, are they office compliant? The office environment here
> is shifting to Office 2000 or Office XP

Abi probably won't be able to handle Office XP stuff, except where it
very closely follows the .doc versions that Abi currently knows about. I
doubt it handles Office 2000 very gracefully either. But, then again, it
depends on how fancy the documents are. Graphics are not currently
imported from .doc correctly, IIRC. Tables and lists may (still) be a
problem. Macros (thankfully) aren't imported at all.

If you can get people to use RTF, I suspect that you'll fit in better.

Thankfully, we don't have much .doc stuff running around here. Good
luck.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\