[TriLUG] Mac OS X is UNIX?

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 11 16:36:09 EST 2002

I was perusing slashdot and come upon the following article:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-832650.html

The article is an interesting one and it is about Apple's Mac OS X.
Apparently OS X runs UNIX at it's core but the article aslo claims
that OS X is a real UNIX OS.

Is anyone out there running Mac OS X?  If so can you redirect your
UNIX displays back to your Mac without 3rd party software?  Can you
mount drives?  And is there an honest-to-goodness command line
interface in OS X?  Could Mac OS X be good enough as a UNIX machine to
replace a Linux desktop?

I haven't used a Mac in a LONG time but if they want to run UNIX on
their desktop and not just at the core of the OS then I may have to
seriously consider getting my hands on a Mac.

I've heard about Yellow Dog Linux which can run on Mac hardware but
I'm curious to hear how OS X compares to the more popular Linux
distributions.

Somehow I've it stuck in my head that Apple would never migrate Macs
to be a genuine UNIX desktop workstation.  I know they have had the
rements of NeXT at their core for a long time but I've never been able
to agree with the overall Mac vision (outside of it NOT being MS).

Greg