[TriLUG] Set date and time

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Feb 11 16:58:16 EST 2002

On Monday 11 February 2002 04:32 pm, you wrote:
> Ok, this is stupid but it's driving me crazy. I need to change the date
> and time on a Mandrake 8.0 box. I know it's "date -s blah" but I'm having
> trouble with the "blah" part.
>
> Yes, I did a man and it ain't helping. I've done this before but lately
> I've fallen victim to the GUI mush brain syndrome and now I can't get the
> command line to work worth a flip.
>
> What's the format?

Be very careful.  Setting the date this way is very dangerous.  Do you have a
full time internet connection?  If so, xntpd is just the thing.  It will do a
"hard set" of the date during boot up, before it would be dangerous to do so.
 Then it does soft updates to the time periodically while the machine is up
and running.  I wrote a tutorial a few months back on this list on how to set
it up.