[TriLUG] Mac OS X is UNIX?

John Turner jdturner at myhome.nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 11 17:28:41 EST 2002

I am a long time NeXTSTEP user and I think the development tools
under NS and now Mac OS X are the best every! It is a shame that
Apple decided to stop shipping/supporting the Windows/Intel runtime
(aka YellowBox).

I recently started using Mac OS X on a first generation Mac G3. It
is only a G3 266MHz so it is a little slow. Built in you get:
 - command line (csh, zsh [zsh is the best shell])
 - nice mail client
 - Internet Explorer (I replace with OmniWeb [original NeXTSTEP app])
 - iTunes (MP3 player)
 - iPhoto (photo manager, minor editing)
 - iMovie (cheapest way to make movies)

I would also recommend checking out StepWise, they made lots of
nice application for NeXTSTEP. And you have to check out TIFFany,
a robust Photoshop type application.

There is a project (Fink) that includes ports of my Unix apps and
supports X windows under OS X.

The kernel of OS X is Mach, and they include BSD as a user level
personality.

John