[TriLUG] /dev/loop*

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Feb 12 10:29:20 EST 2002

Howdy,

I am mounting .iso filesystems as loopback file systems.  So far I have up to
/dev/loop7 mounted and all went well with them.  When I tried to mount to
/dev/loop8, I got the error message "mount: could not find any free loop
device".  However /dev/loop8 through /dev/loop15 available (and even mknod'ed
a /dev/loop16 just for the heck of it) and I still get the same error.  This
is a fairly stock Red Hat 7.2 host.  The whole point is I am trying to share
the ISO images for the IT staff at a client site to be able to get at for
burning support CD's, and at the same time actually nfs/smb export the
contents of each ISO as a read only filesystem of its own for network access
purposes.

Has anyone else here run into this problem?