[TriLUG] /dev/loop*

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Feb 12 11:10:27 EST 2002

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 10:34 am, you wrote:
> I suppose you've looked at the source, right?

"D***it Jim, I'm a sysadmin not a programmer."  (if "Bones" had been an IT
guy he might have said such things)

> From /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/loop.c:
>
> static int max_loop = 8;
>
> I'd guess that's the problem. You could always edit it to add more,
> recompile, and see if it works. ;^)
>
> Just to be sure...did you start with loop0? Then 0-7 makes sense...

Right.  If you mount with "-O loop" it automatically goes through them.
Confirmed with losetup.

Once I've edited it to a more reasonable number for my purposes, how would I
go about recompiling this and getting the new binary in place?  I'm used to
the "./configure && make && make install" paradigm.

Thanks for your help.