[TriLUG] SSH "partial success"

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Tue Feb 12 11:37:21 EST 2002

What does "Authenticated with partial success" mean?  I installed there
beta servers in the past two days and two of them SSH fine but one is
giving us grief.  I can duplicate the error from Raleigh (posted
below).  Basically, the user is prompted for a password, they get the
"Authenticated with partial success" message and they are prompted
again, get the message again, they are prompted a third time, they get a
slightly different message (no please try again) and they are returned
to the prompt.  This is a RH 7.2 installation that is pretty much "out
of the box" using OpenSSH_2.9p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
0x0090602f.

userid at servername's password:
Authenticated with partial success.
Permission denied, please try again.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure that we are getting the whole story
(the server is up in the mountains).  This person who initially reported
the problem could well have tried to generate a new key or something --
or maybe this server had this particular problem from the get go.

I did see something about reverse looking failure causing a similar
problem but since I can go to the same servers via SSH from other
machines, I don't feel that is the issue.

--

Janyne Kizer
CNE-3, CNE-4, CNE-5