[TriLUG] OT: long haul 802.11b?

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 14 14:30:18 EST 2002

So this is a little off topic, but here it goes anyway.  Has anyone done and work attempting to push a 802.11b signal over a long distance.  I'm thinking of somewhere in the range of 200-300 meters (outdoors).  Some antennas claim they do this now but I would like 90% signal at 200-300 meters, not the reduced 1 meg signal.

My second questions refers to line of sight vs. a "blanket" signal.  Optimally I would like to have a blanket type signal projected for 200-300 meters, not a line of sight (because I'd like to move around).

Has anyone played around with this?  I am running 802.11b at the house but I don't have any external antennas on my Orinoco access point.

Greg