[TriLUG] OT: long haul 802.11b?

john broome jbroome at intrex.net
Thu Feb 14 14:46:42 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <gregbrown at mindspring.com>

> So this is a little off topic, but here it goes anyway.  Has anyone done
and work attempting to push a 802.11b signal over a long distance.  I'm
thinking of somewhere in the range of 200-300 meters (outdoors).  Some
antennas claim they do this now but I would like 90% signal at 200-300
meters, not the reduced 1 meg signal.

> My second questions refers to line of sight vs. a "blanket" signal.
Optimally I would like to have a blanket type signal projected for 200-300
meters, not a line of sight (because I'd like to move around).

> Has anyone played around with this?  I am running 802.11b at the house but
I don't have any external antennas on my Orinoco access point.

> Greg

This is a fairly constant topic on alt.internet.wireless.  I think the folks
at orielly got one to go five miles..