[TriLUG] Routing question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Feb 15 00:34:35 EST 2002

Greetings,

I temporarily have an interesting problem that perhaps someone here
can help me out with.  I have a computer connected to the internet
with both DSL and cable (both static IPs) and I want connections
that come in on one interface to be able to go out on that interface.
I read the advanced routing howto and figured out how to use
iproute2 (the ip command) to setup different routing tables based
on various attributes (i.e. policy routing).  Unfortunately, this
doesn't seem to help me very much.  Basically, what seems to happen
is that linux always originates IP packets from one of my two addresses
and when it sends it out the default route, whichever address is
not from the default route (i.e the cable address going out the DSL
interface) doesn't work very well. :-)  I think what I need is
to setup IP masquerading so that it can keep state of the connections
and send the correct connections out the correct address (changing
the originating IP as needed).  Oh, and I need to do this under
2.2.19, so IPtables is out. :-(  I pretty much understand how
IPtables work, but IPchains, which I must use since I'm under
a 2.2.x kernel, just confuses me.  Can anyone give me an suggestions
for how to accomplish this?  (And, please, no suggestions that I
upgrade to 2.4.  This is an internet server with the openwall
security patches, which aren't available for 2.4 yet [yes,
I know about the other set of patches, but I would prefer to have
them tested first].)

Thanks very much in advance,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989