[TriLUG] OT : Long distance Wireless Access Points

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 15 17:18:00 EST 2002

Actually there are a lot of solutions to this problem:
  - Lasers work great if you have line of site and a steady platform (but you
said you don't...).
  - There is a "Campus" radio solution that is already licensed for use
specifically for this type of application.  It works up to 10 miles, but is
really only practical for about 2 miles.  Last time I priced it, the cost was
around $7k (but that was over two years ago).  It's a digitally encrypted
setup that works pretty good.
  - VPN via your internet connections.  Try to setup both sites using the
same provider.  If you get on the same segment then your bandwidth and
latency will be awesome.
  - If you are not worried about bandwidth or latency then there is always
the carrier pidgeon option.  As I recall there is even an IEEE approved
protocol for this.

Jon
===