[TriLUG] X configuration

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Mon Feb 18 09:48:34 EST 2002

Vestal, Roy L. [rvestal at rti.org] wrote:
> Is there a way in X to change my screen size, like M$ does?  I'd like to
> change my desktop from 1024x768 and the only way I know of is to stop X,
> reset the XFConfig-4 and restart. I know someone has come up with a better
> way.

In your "Screen" section you should have one or more modes, like so:

---(snip!)---
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "i810"
        Monitor         "ViewSonicEF70"
        DefaultDepth    16

        Subsection "Display"
                Depth   16
                Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection

EndSection

Put every mode you want in the "Modes" line.  From there, when you start
X you can do CTRL-ALT-+ and CTRL-ALT-- (+/- being the ones on the number
pad) to toggle through the resolutions.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/