[TriLUG] Access databases under linux

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Feb 18 10:19:11 EST 2002

If you share them from one of the Windows boxes instead of the Linux
box, ODBC works then.

Or if you convert the MDB to MySQL and use MyODBC on Windows the Windows
boxes can easily read/write the MySQL RDBMS.  Be aware that MS Access
databases don't do well in a shared environment.  They are meant to be a
single user database.  Back in my BOPS days they had two products they
were using with an MS Access back end, and it never failed, if two
people got into the database at the same time the MDB would sometimes
double or triple in size and become utterly corrupted.  Usually MS
Access could clean it but from time to time I've had to restore from
tape.

So if you can at all help it, avoid sharing MDB between multiple users.
If you're just using MS Office as the front end, it will work happily
against MySQL or PostgreSQL.