[TriLUG] updating RH 7.2 kernel

Kevin Hunter khunter at rhoworld.com
Mon Feb 18 10:19:44 EST 2002

I hope this is not too much of a stupid user question.  Part of my
confusion comes from the RedHat Network.  I have a Dell web appliance
that I scrapped Dell's install and redid it from scratch.  It has two
PIII processors, so my boot image is listed as vmlinuz-2.4.7-10smp in
my lilo.conf.

( NOTE : this is NOT a production system )

I want to update the kernel, but I'm slightly confused on what image
to download.  When I setup the RHN for this system, it subscribed me
to the 7.2 i386 channel.  However, my system description is "7.2
running on an i686", which makes sense since I'm running on a couple
of PIII's.  Do I assume that the .../updates/7.2/en/os/i386 directory
on the ftp site is updates applicable to all Intel based systems, and
anything ix86 specific will be in one of the other directories??

My main question is which kernel update(s) do I download.  From the
ftp site, I'm assuming I download kernel-smp-2.4.9-21.i686.rpm from
updates/7.2/en/os/i686/, and from updates/7.2/en/os/i386/, I download
kernel-headers-2.4.9-21.i386.rpm.

Am I on the right track??

Thx.

KH

PS: If someone is going to tell me to RTFM, please let me know which
"FM" to read :-)