[TriLUG] Don't get involved in Trilug...you might post *gasp* off topic.

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Feb 19 15:46:33 EST 2002

Jeremy P [jeremyp at pobox.com] wrote:

> Don't forget the trilug-announce list, which is inexplicably being run by
> a DIFFERENT list program (listar instead of mailman), and therefore
> doesn't show up in the mailman catalog. There's also the "steering" list,
> so I think the real number is 8.

The explaination is that trilug-announce was set up with trilug@ was
on one of UNC's servers.  It hasn't been migrated over to mailman
just...because.  Noone has gotten around to it.

The steering list isn't something that just anyone can subscribe to,
so discussions about how heavily trafficed it may or may not be aren't
all that relevant (it's bursty, for anyone that cares).

The hosting and education lists were for the support of sub-committees
which have never been formally created.  The mere creation of a
sub-committee results in the creation of a mailing list, plain and
simple.

In the end, hosting@ was set up because people wanted it.  The posts
about the mailserver should probably have gone there.  Obviously,
noone is gonna make you post there.  However, the idea behind the
other lists is to increase discussion, not limit it.  We thought that
by making the hosting list, people would be more free in their
discussion of hosting issues, and hopefully form a hosting
sub-committee.

dev@ was created because people wanted it, but there's no
sub-committee.  It was thought that having the list would -increse-
the discussion of the topic, allowing people to feel more free to
post new questions/topics that only a few people would be interested
in (and given that most people follow the 'don't post to the list
unless there's likely to be interest' rule of mailing lists). The
dev list has worked wonderfully that way.

I would -like- to see discussions about the mail server and stuff
like that on the hosting list.  But, like I said, noone can stop
you from posting hosting issues on this list.  It's a request,
not a demand.  The thing I like to see the most, however, is
discussion, period.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost