[TriLUG] Call for a vote: Trash dead old lists

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Feb 19 17:51:01 EST 2002

acoliver [acoliver at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> I hereby call for a vote.  The following lists (that if you know where to
> look you can check out yourself http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/)
> should be discontinued and the topics become "just discus on
> trilug at trilug.org" topics.

First, you're more than welcome to call for a vote.  Second, why do
you care so much about this?  How does the existence of dead lists
harm you in any way?

> Education Education Subcommittee list  - No archive even...totally dead

Never got off the ground, unfortunately.

> Hosting setup Hosting for local software projects  - very dead

The list is not "very dead".  It comes alive every so often, especially
when we've got issues like 'do we need a mail server'.

> Security_talk Security Talk for TriLUG presentation - no archive even

This one I can see getting rid of.  It was meant as a short term list,
anyways.

> Welcome Welcome Wagon to help new LUG users  - no archive even

I have hopes that someone will pick this up and run with it at some
point.

> Please signify a "+1" if you agree that:
>
> these dead lists should be removed and their topics just discussed on the
> main lists (trilug at trilug.org)
> trilug and dev should be linked off of the trilug.org/communication.html
> page or the link should point to the listinfo page.
>
> Signify a "+0" if you don't care but like voting anyhow
> Signify a "-1" if you disagree completely.

-1

> I don't think this is particularly binding but it will at least make the
> opinion of the group known on whether we wish to have lots of little mail
> lists growing everywhere to give fodder to whiners about "off post" posts.
> Fragment the group all to heck so that some people don't have to spend a
> nanosecond of scrolling or hitting delete for the average of 5-10 messages a
> year they get on these topics.

The steering committee has tried to avoid fragmenting lists where at
alll possible.  I, for one, have voted against nearly all new list
suggestions as they've come along.  However, we came up with the idea
of sub-committees, and a list was created for each.

In the end, we can't make everyone happy all the time.  It just won't
happen.  Sometimes, new lists help (dev@), sometimes the contribution
is questionable (hosting@), but, so far, we haven't created a single
list that has hurt -anything-.

> I vote +1

Noted.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost