[TriLUG] re: Call for a vote: Trash dead old lists

acoliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 18:02:29 EST 2002

> In particular, I think the Hosting list is kinda dead,
> because of the financial shape Tri-LUG is in. We talked
> about needing some additional hardware to do some of the
> cool things that we want to do, in terms of hosting...
> but the funds simply aren't, afaik, available to do
> a lot of that stuff now.

> I should disclose that I'm biased here. I was one of the
> original participants in that group, and consider it
> to be somewhat of a "pet" cause.

I'm not against the cause, I just think it should be discussed on the main
list.  I think it has died due to lack of exposure, not lack of interest.
If its a trilug topic it should be discussed on trilug.  Case in point: we
nearly have the email server.  Would we had we discussed it there: fact, no!

> The Education list I'm a little more indifferent about, because
> I was never involved in it's activities.  Still, I think that
> /when/ the Education group has a project to work on ( like the
> Charter School thing ) they can justify a separate list.

Same issue...  Discuss it for the all by the all, you'll get accidental
viewers volunteering.  The message needs to get out (first rule of social
activism).

I'm not proposing killing the issued, just that they should be discussed on
the main list and the subdivided lists which help kill the issues be
removed.

-Andy